For our simple recipes, we like to keep them robust yet delicious. We limit ourselves to simply eight ingredients for you to hunt down, barring from everyday essentials such as oil, salt, pepper, sugar and water.
A must-have breakfast item in the Philippines, corned beef silog (garlic fried rice, egg and corned beef hash) is delicious, filling and delightfully quick to prepare. Although the garlic fried rice is optional, it is easy enough to prepare that there is really no reason to skip it.
Ingredients (serves 4)
Garlic Fried Rice
6 garlic cloves (crushed)
4 cups leftover rice
Corned Beef Hash
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1.5 brown onions (sliced)
400g corned beef
2 tbs light soy sauce
1) To make garlic fried rice, heat 4 tablespoons oil in a pan and sautee crushed garlic cloves gently.
2) Once garlic cloves are light golden, add rice and stir fry for 6-8 minutes till cooked and fragrant, salt to taste and set aside.
3) For corned beef hash, heat 4 tablespoons oil in a pan and sauté minced garlic gently.
4) Once minced garlic is light golden, add onions slices and sauté till soft.
5) Add corned beef, light soy sauce and stir well till cooked. Add salt & pepper to taste.
6) Serve corned beef hash with portioned mounds of garlic fried rice and fried eggs.